As you might know, laser cutting of wood and plywood could be a real trick.
Now I will tell you everything you need to know about proper and accurate laser cutting.
Key things to check and remember!
- For better, quick and accurate laser cutting you need to use G-2 short focal lens that allows getting 60 x 133 uM laser beam spot. The best laser beam spot can be achieved.
- Make sure that your MDF, plywood, wood, laserply is not fire-resistive and good for laser cutting.
- Make sure that your laser lens is clean.
- Make sure you are in a perfect focus.
- Check the density of your material. Very dense sorts of wood, plywood, MDF, laserply that can hardly be cut with a real saw might have problems with laser cutting as well.
In addition, we suggest using air assist while cutting. It will reduce the amount of passes, increase speed and make cleaner edges.
We made a few live tests and here are our lasers:
|Type of material||Width, mm||length, mm||Height, mm||Value||Weight in grams||Density g/cm^3||Cutting edges||Laser cutting speed mm/min||A minimum amount of passes||Guaranteed amount of passes|
|3 layer plywood (maracanic plywood)||190||112||2,6||55328||22||0,397629||Perfect||600||2||3|
|Soft wood (cedar)||182||150||3,6||98280||35||0,356125||Perfect||600||2||3|
|Dense plywood (birch)||100||150||4,5||67500||48||0,711111||Good||300||6||8|
|Type of material||Width, mm||length, mm||Height, mm||Value in mm^3||Weight in grams||Density g/cm^3||Cutting edges||Laser cutting speed||The minimum amount of passes||Guaranteed amount of passes|
|3 layer plywood (maracanic plywood)||190||112||2,6||55328||22||0,397629||Perfect||200||1||1|
|Soft wood (cedar)||182||150||3,6||98280||35||0,356125||Perfect||300||1||2|
|Dense plywood (birch)||100||150||4,5||67500||48||0,711111||Good||300||5||7|
G-code example that was used for this experiment
(was generated using an Endurance plugin for an Inkscape)
M05 S0 // laser off
G00 X8.1854 Y2.0382 // setup starting point
G90 G21 // step specifying in mm
M03 S255 // full laser power
G01 X8.1854 Y2.0382 F300 // start of a cutting process with a speed of 300 mm per minute (5 mm / sec)
G04 P0 // delay
M05 S0 // laser off
M02 // end of the program
G00 // home
Checked and tested for an Eleksmaker Mana board with Benbox firmware
If you have something to share with us, please do and make comments below!